Friday, July 30, 2010

Visitors

Early one morning a couple of weeks ago, Jeff and his sons were working on the roof and an owl landed in the tree right next to the house. The next morning the same thing happened. Gary and I went up to the property at dusk just to see if it was around and there it was in the tree- a barred owl. Then another one. We stayed for about an hour and watched two owls hunting all around the house coming very close to us. We did this for a few evenings. One night about 7 PM we went up to see them and what do you know? They had two babies with them! They were feeding them and teaching them how to hunt all right in front of us. One of the babies was curious and landed on scaffolding next to us and stayed there for about 5 minutes. The babies would emit a high pitched shriek and a parent would come and feed it then the baby would land in the grass and fly off with something he caught. This went on for five evenings and then they were gone. I'm guessing they have to teach them how to hunt in daylight and then they are on their own as we haven't seen them since. It was fantastic to watch. Here are some of the photos we took of these remarkable birds.

5 comments:

  1. Sending sweet greetings from Frog Hollow Farm. What a fantastic experience, and your photos are great. I've heard that the presence of owls means that the forest is a healthy one. Your new home is in the middle of such wonderful things!! FHFB and I stopped by on Friday afternoon with some scones from Stella G's in town but missed you and Gary. FHFB was secretly happy because now he has four scones he can eat! Hope we catch you next time! We loved the house and property!! Ciao, bella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry we missed you! We took a break and went out for lunch at Cafe Azzurro. Love that place. Stop by again we'd love to show you the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - thanks for stopping by my tomato sandwich blog and leaving a comment. I read it around 11 this morning and I'm still laughing!!

    Your tomato sandwich recipe got a rave review from one of my bloggy friends - Frank and I make something like it but in order to make it healthier we add butter (organic of course) to the outside of one piece of bread and slap on another piece on the top (with butter of course). We then grill the sandwiches!! Yummy! With this kind of eating my butt is only growing in size... Ciao, bella!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, is that a picture of you in your Tin Man Halloween costume? I'm just sayin'....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could never pass as the tine man - he was thin. I think I look more like a shriner. Thanks, mom.

    ReplyDelete